Henry's Site Forum Index Henry's Site
A quiet contemplative island amid a sea of noise

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

idaho city excellant adventure

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmahoney

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: idaho city excellant adventure Reply with quote

So at 34, i decided to enter my first mtb race. complete freakin newbie, and my only goal is to finish with some dignity intact. any advice is welcome....and does anyone have any idea what the race route is??
thanks!
-todd
KDH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Good On you Reply with quote

Idaho City is a solid big sinhglle loop that heads up the road behind the highscholl and descends onto the sirport. Its about 18 miles. Just go out and Have fun. Dont go too hard too soon. find a nice solid tempo for your climb.
Carry enough water but you wont need a full camelsback. I full large bottel should get you through the race if you are hydrated at the start.

Number 1 rule is have fun
tmahoney

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks!!! i've heard good things about the wild rockies race series! I may have to hook up with some of lost river's group mtb rides this year too.

-Todd
AdamW

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got a mass start of all riders (a little nerve-racking but not as bad as you might imagine when you're nervously standing around with a 100 or so others waiting for the go signal) followed by about 1.5 miles on a dirt road and then a squezze into singletrack. The singletrack winds around uphill for awhile before dumping you onto another dirt road for a long gradual climb. Keep your eyes open for the sharp right turn from the initial singletrack back onto the dirt road. Though marked, it is easy to miss! Then its alternatating dirt road / singletrack the rest of the way. Fun stuff. Balance your efforts on the initial dirt road section -- you want to get ahead of a bunch of people before the singletrack squezze yet you've got to still have enough in your tank for the ensuing uphills. Mentally prepare yourself for one last climb that you wouldn't expect. You feel like you're on this plunge back into town for the finish when all of a sudden you're faced with a left-hand turn and another climb. Also in your warm-up make sure you ride the final half-mile or so. There's a tricky sharp right-hand turn around a big tree just before you come out onto the airport that you want to be ready for. And it's always a good thing to familiarize yourself with the finish in case you're pushing yourself at that point ... it is a race after all. Just a few things there to hopefully help you out. All in all have fun. Wish I could be there racing with you!
tmahoney

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: thanks! Reply with quote

looking forward to pushing myself! appreciate the advice!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Henry's Site Forum Index -> Chatter All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: